Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Dinner Parisian-Style


Tuesday evening, July 1: Our group gathered for dinner at Au Chien qui Fume, a Parisian bistro a short walk from our hotel. We had a reservation for a private room upstairs but upon arrival were given the choice of dining al fresco. We had a delightful meal under beautiful skies. Joining our group for the dinner were staff and faculty from the America Graduate School for International Diplomacy and Relations in Paris, Arcadia’s affiliated campus.

We dined from 7 to 10 p.m. Afterwards, Carlos Ortiz suggested a walk along the Seine since the sun was just begging to set. We walked over the Pont Neuf bridge, past Ile-de-Cité, up the Left Bank, and then back across the river past Notre Dame. Everyone enjoyed the setting sun and seeing the beautiful lights of Paris begin to appear.
- Sue Gettlin

Meeting everyone and getting to know them over dinner at Au Chien Qui Fume was enchanting as our three course meal was served on a quiet street with plenty of wandering Parisians to glance at, attempting to discover everything about their culture. I especially loved dessert which was ice cream with whipped cream and more! I dined with Brittany and Megan. The three of us are learning about the world through our majors: Brittany and I through International Politics, and Megan through International Studies. Though slightly different paths, we all want the same thing in the end; a chance to work internationally and make differences in the world (for the better we hope!). Doug from AGSIRD, the school where Megan and I will stay on for a month extra in Paris to study abroad, joined us for dinner. We enjoyed talking about everything from the plane ride to current politics.
- Shaina McAndrews

Random Ramblings
We made it! I am so tired that I don’t know what to do with myself. Even though we just arrived and all of the advertisements in the airport are in French, it hasn’t hit me yet that I’m in one of the oldest cities! Here's what I've seen so far:
  • Impeccably dressed man, women and children of all ages! I keep seeing people who are dressed as if they stepped off the pages of a magazine. I mean they are impressive!
  • French pastries look even better in person! I watch a lot of the Travel Channel and the Food Network at home, and when they feature French pastries I always note how aesthetically pleasing they are but assumed it was a television dupe! Ah non! The pastries look just as amazing as on TV, and smell and taste better than I imagined!

- Maya Stewart

View the day's photos

No comments: